cc-metadata - Re: We need <link rel="copyright">

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work" <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: We need <link rel="copyright">
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:48:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, May 25, 2005 5:00 am, Andreas Haugstrup said:
> Does anyone know why rel="license" was introduced, when rel="copyright"
> seems to be the same thing? (rel="copyright" should take precedence since
> it's in the HTML spec)

Think of license as a refinement of copyright, a la dcterms:license and
dc:rights.

I think a couple of different constructs have been brought up in this
thread. One is putting <link rel="..."> in the <head>. You could do
that, but there's already <meta name="DC.Rights" ...> if you want to put
something in <head>.

You can also use the rel attribute on <a>, which is what
http://developers.technorati.com/wiki/RelLicense does.

There are zillions of options for sticking metadata into a [X]HTML
document. If you must use whatever you prefer. It is my concern to
encourage dominant uses so that software can reliably find metadata. IMO
there are now three fairly widely deployed schemes for CC licenses, not
all mutually exclusive:

1. Embed RDF in HTML comment
2. rel="license" attribute on <a href="license-uri">
3. <link> to an external RDF file

#1 is our legacy format, the default produced by licensing engine, very
widely deployed
#2 is also now produced by licensing engine, has support of small-s
semantic web/semantic XHTML people, and will be RDF-compatible via GRDDL
eventually
#3 is used by other RDF apps and is only non-controversial means of
including RDF with an XHTML document. Wikipedia publishes CC compatible
metadata using this method

In the future we'll probably add a fourth, which will replace #1 and #2 in
license engine output, when it gets baked into a W3C standard, which is
ongoing -- http://www.formsplayer.com/notes/rdf-a.html

http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21