cc-metadata - Re: gimp-creative commons license plugin

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: KirbyMeister <kirbymeister AT gmail.com>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: gimp-creative commons license plugin
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:34:54 -0400

On 4/11/05, Jon A. Cruz <jon AT joncruz.org> wrote:
<snipped out like BitKeeper from Linux>

And Bingo!!!! The big misconception.

Yes, Adobe puts out tools and SDKs that hand XMP and are
platfor-specific, but XMP itself is not. XMP is just RDF done in a
certain way, and thus is just as cross-platform as RDF and XML.

* XMP is basically just a specific dialect of RDF. One could say that
XMP is to RDF as XHTML is to XML.

* Adobe seem to have been quite careful to use existing open technology
and standards to create XMP.

* The XMP spec spells out how to use RDF to encorporate Dublin Core,
EXIF and all sorts of standard info.

* The XMP spec also spells out how to make something specific if the
need is not already covered.

XMP is your friend.
:-)