cc-metadata - Re: gimp-creative commons license plugin

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: gimp-creative commons license plugin
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:57:20 -0700

Carol Spears wrote:
my plug-in goes to the web site. in the url, the creative commons site
asked for a partner name. this weekend while debugging, the plug-in was
partner = "testing" and later partner = "GIPP". i am uncertain if there
is a better partner name or the means to register my plug-in so that the
creative commons people know of it.

You can pass in whatever you want, "GIPP" is fine. "partner" sounds like it requires some registration, but it doesn't.

(Anyone reading this who doesn't know what we're talking about, see http://creativecommons.org/technology/web-integration )

2) what other meta data would be good for my little multi-platform
data file? (what do you want to bet that gimp-python works on mac and
windows before photoshop works on gnu/linux?)

If you used RDF (or XMP, a subset of RDF) you wouldn't have to worry about this.

RDF is great and a goal. XMP is interesting to me only to glean
information from it. actually, it might be interesting to add the
option to import or fix XMP only, not export. it lacks much of the
multi-operating system requirements i have.

So you're embedding XML in image files, do I understand correctly?

Lots of other people have had the same idea, or more generally the idea that they could stuff some structured information into a comment-y field. Every couple months I get an email from one of these people, presumably representing a tiny faction of the people doing this sort of thing.

The problem with this is that none of the apps embedding and reading these formats will interoperate with any other.

There are already at least three fairly accepted embedded metadata formats for images -- IPTC, EXIF, and XMP, the last being RDF-based and mirroring all of the fields available in the first two.

I urge you, and everyone who writes similarly, to use one of these established metadata formats when embedding metadata in images. Use whatever you want for external files.

http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21