cc-metadata - Re: gimp-creative commons license plugin

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Carol Spears <carol AT gimp.org>
  • To: KirbyMeister <kirbymeister AT gmail.com>, Creative Commons Metadata <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: gimp-creative commons license plugin
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:01:34 -0700

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 04:55:15PM -0400, KirbyMeister wrote:
> Yes, but still, CC has been down more than once - and your license
> declarations point to a website (which is stupid)
>
> On 4/11/05, Carol Spears <carol AT gimp.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 04:11:07PM -0400, KirbyMeister wrote:
> > > It's pretty cool, although I dont get why the plugin has to access CC's
> > > website - what if it were to go down? Say the GNAA were to crapflood us,
> > > shutting down the server. That would break the plugin.
> > >
> > i think all the proper error circumstances have been accounted for in
> > the script. the journey to the web site is no different via the plug-in
> > than it would be with a web browser.

you can either point the user to the web site or point the plug-in at
the web site. i fail to see any real difference.

if you are using the photoshop plug-in, if the creative commons web site
is down, the user probably does not know which license or template to
apply.

what does the photoshop plug-in do if the creative commons site is down
and the web browser has no site to display the user? the difference
between the two plug-ins is that it is still up to the user to remember
the choices he/she made.

it would be trivial to write an addition to the plug-in that would
author a local file creative commons file to be used as a personal
license. something like that would fall in the gimp menus under
<Toolbox>/Xtns and not be image dependent.

right now, i am trying to use the cc button to watermark images via the
script. the creative commons web site is very generous and the gimp
always worked really well online ....

carol