cc-metadata - Re: gimp-creative commons license plugin

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Carol Spears <carol AT gimp.org>
  • To: Creative Commons Metadata <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: gimp-creative commons license plugin
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:18:09 -0700

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 02:49:53PM -0700, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> Carol Spears wrote:
> >i have written a plug-in for TheGIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program
> >http://www.gimp.org) that gleans information from an image and from the
> >creator of the image and embeds it into the image file.
>
> What gets embedded in the file? XML conforming to your DTD?

right now, what is embedded into the file is a debugging version of this
"gipp information". in my experience with dtd, it is really good to
know what you are working with before you start.

i came to this list before going to any of the gimp mail lists with this
plug-in because i do not want to be making a whole bunch of these files
yet. they are human readible now and should be i think until i know of
what useful information should go there.

at the point i release this as a full-fledged gimp plug-in it should be
writing xml files that conform to a dtd. i hesitate to call it my dtd
since the information it will contain has been mostly pre-defined.

> >even at this infant stage, it is pretty cool. I had it working like
> >this photoshop plugin: http://creativecommons.org/technology/xmp-help,
> >but i wanted more from mine. it launches a localhost from the users
> >online computer, goes to the creative commons licensing page where the
> >user steps through the license process and then adds the information
> >directly to the image. No need for the user to select the license or
> >the template from the plug-in after doing all this work on the creative
> >commons web site.
>
> FWIW we do have a web services interface for choosing a license if you
> did want to build the license choosing process in rather than sending
> the user to the website. ccPublisher, also written in Python, uses this
> interface.

that is nice. it would have been nice to know about it via the gimp
mail lists. this plug-in has the advantage of using the gimps power to
get information about the actual image to the same location as the
license. monitor information as well. all this is extremely useful
when working with images at each level of the work.

> >information i hope to get from this mail list includes:
> > 1) what is a good partner name
>
> Not sure what you're asking.

my plug-in goes to the web site. in the url, the creative commons site
asked for a partner name. this weekend while debugging, the plug-in was
partner = "testing" and later partner = "GIPP". i am uncertain if there
is a better partner name or the means to register my plug-in so that the
creative commons people know of it.

> > 2) what other meta data would be good for my little multi-platform
> > data file? (what do you want to bet that gimp-python works on mac and
> > windows before photoshop works on gnu/linux?)
>
> If you used RDF (or XMP, a subset of RDF) you wouldn't have to worry
> about this.

RDF is great and a goal. XMP is interesting to me only to glean
information from it. actually, it might be interesting to add the
option to import or fix XMP only, not export. it lacks much of the
multi-operating system requirements i have.

creative commons has made it very easy to write the RFD stuff; that is
appreciated and i always planned to implement it. as a user of creative
commons license, this part was easy. getting the rss feed from the web
site was the challenge for me -- and had nothing to do with creative
commons.

thanks for your questions,
carol