cc-metadata - Re: Creative Commons Metadata for Wiki

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Creative Commons Metadata for Wiki
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:21:17 -0700

Evan Prodromou wrote:
So, there's a document in the works on the CommunityWiki about
generating Dublin Core metadata for wiki pages.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/community/DublinCoreForWiki

Creative Commons metadata is mentioned at the bottom. Seeing that CC
metadata is pretty much compatible with DC metadata, this should be
pretty straightforward.

Any comments or questions welcome. Making comments on the wiki, or
just changing the document, is better, of course.

I did (finally) just make a comment on the wiki, reproduced below:

In the example, why are the values for dc:identifier and source not rdf:resources, as are dc:creator, publisher, creator, and rights?

Regarding Creative Commons metadata: it is not different than DC RDF. The former extends the latter. Take

<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";
xmlns:dc ="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/";>
<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://wiki.example.com/ExamplePage";>
<dc:title>ExamplePage</dc:title>
</rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

which obtains the triple

http://wiki.example.com/ExamplePage http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/title "ExamplePage" .

and

<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";
xmlns:dc ="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/";
xmlns:cc ="http://web.resource.org/cc/";>
<cc:Work rdf:about="http://wiki.example.com/ExamplePage";>
<dc:title>ExamplePage</dc:title>
</cc:Work>
</rdf:RDF>

which obtains the triples

http://wiki.example.com/ExamplePage http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type http://web.resource.org/cc/Work .

http://wiki.example.com/ExamplePage http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/title "ExamplePage" .

In other words, all that cc:Work does is add type information (that the subject is possibly a copyrightable work). This is a case where the RDF/XML encoding makes CC metadata appear annoyingly incompatible with DC though it is not.

To either of the above productions we can add

<dc:rights rdf:resource="http://example.com/licenses/foo"; />

or

<cc:license rdf:resource="http://example.com/licenses/foo"; />

Again, they look annoyingly different. However, the latter is just more precise. cc:license refines dc:rights (see the schema embedded in and linked to from <http://web.resource.org/cc/>). Admittedly this is a bit harder to deal with than the triple added by cc:Work -- an otherwise ignorant application would need to be rdf schema-aware to discover this.

I think cc:Work and cc:license ought to be used, though it isn't a tragedy if one just uses rdf:Description and dc:rights with a reference to a CC license URL where appropriate. It would be unfortunate to hand out separate DC and CC metadata as is contemplated at <http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/RDF_metadata>.