cc-metadata - Re: Embedded CC License Info in Different File Types

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: admin AT delegatetechnologies.com, discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Embedded CC License Info in Different File Types
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:23:21 -0700

admin AT delegatetechnologies.com wrote:
1) What are the pros and cons of fitting CC License information into
existing file formats by finding an open field in the specification to put
it (i.e. the “TCOP” frame), versus a “header” or “footer” scheme created
by the CC community that is devised to store license information that is
common across all file types? (i.e. add extra header or footer bytes to
the beginning or end of a file that contain the information)

Good thoughts. A few points:

- ID3 is essentially what you describe (though everyone hates the implementation). ID3 is not "native" to the mp3 format. I gather that a small number of people use APE(v2) metadata tags in mp3s as an alternative to ID3.

- I don't recall any examples offhand, but there are definitely file formats that won't tolerate extra header or footer bytes.

- Even where file formats do support embedding extra info, we wouldn't want to step on other metadata formats.

- Still, it would be really nice to use the same format across as many file types as possible. AFAIK XMP is the only serious attempt to do so. See <http://creativecommons.org/technology/xmp> for CC usage and links to more XMP info. It shouldn't be much trouble to put XMP in mp3, ogg, or any file format that allows extensibility. I recommend exploring that rather than inventing a new format.