cc-metadata - Short notice mini music metadata summit summary

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Short notice mini music metadata summit summary
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:16:07 -0700

2004.04.13

Attendees (order of appearance):
Rob Kaye http://mayhem-chaos.net
Mike Linksvayer http://creativecommons.org/learn/aboutus/people#21
Christopher Allen http://www.lifewithalacrity.com
John Buckman http://blogs.magnatune.com/buckman
Neeru Paharia http://creativecommons.org/learn/aboutus/people#16
Glenn Otis Brown http://creativecommons.org/learn/aboutus/people#10
Kevin Marks http://epeus.blogspot.com
IRC:
Jim Garrison http://gnomoradio.org
and a number of lurkers

Bad: completely failed to stay on topic (in part due to my poorly
defining topics), no firm technical decisions reached.

Good: lots of valuable "customer" feedback from Magnatune, lots of use
cases that can help drive technical descisions in the near future.

Brief notes on each agenda item:

Signing RDF
- CA not impressed with current state of xml digsig tools
- CA had proposed hashing foaf with third party secret
* more research needed

Remix Ready
- Actually two scenarios
- work has "source" available (e.g., individual tracks)
- a file is a "high quality" or uncompressed version
* need to propose terms for each

Tipjar
- (JB) might want to tip publisher
- that's ok, use dc:publisher in addition to dc:creator
- rel="tipjar", there is no rel values authority (KM)
* CC will adopt RSN

License Buyout
- (JB) want to flag certain terms "fair commercial", e.g.,
nondiscriminatory, nonrefusal
- (JB) artists want three items published: artist contact,
booking/concert info, and legal representation
* CA to write up proposal

Purchase
- only briefly mentioned, simple URL should suffice
* need to propose term or find existing

Abstract Work versus Instance Licensing and Metadata
- work metadata can easier refer to specific encodings, if
such info is available (not in the case of an abstract work
catalog like MusicBrainz)
- UI and license problem, not really a metadata problem
- JG notes that Gnomoradio metadata splits abstract and
instance info

That's about as far in the agenda as we got. Contrary to my hopes, there was lots of non-agenda background filling, philosophy, and licensing discussion. Ah well. We all learned a lot. Lessig's
book signing/reception was entertaining.

Wiki:
http://www.socialtext.net/musicmetadata/
IRC log:
http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/irc/musicmetadata/2004-04-13.html