cc-metadata - Re: Creative Commons Metadata for Wiki

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Creative Commons Metadata for Wiki
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:22:27 -0400

D> Hrm... I dont get why WIKI software needs to be able to have
D> special facilities for DC/CC metadata when they can possibly be
D> stored in plain HTML (as long as the WIKI-software supports it)
D> like other DC/CC metadata.

Sorry, but I just don't get what you're saying. It actually seems like
a circular statement: that you don't get why Wiki software needs to
support DC/CC metadata, as long as the Wiki software supports DC/CC
metadata.

Perhaps you're questioning why the <link rel='meta' /> mechanism is
used, rather than one of the other mechanisms like embedding RDF
directly in the HTML page or in a comment.

That's obviously not a hard-and-fast rule, but I think the idea is
this: getting a full contributor history for a wiki page is a
relatively expensive action in terms of time and processing. By using
a separate, dynamically-created page, we make sure that the expensive
process only happens when someone actually wants the metadata, rather
than every time the page is requested.

Or maybe you're saying that if the wiki engine supports having
embedded HTML in wiki pages, you could put RDF directly into the wiki
page, without using any special facilities of the engine.

My response would be: man, that'd be really tedious! Why do that? The
wiki engine has most of the information needed, anyways.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/