cc-metadata - Re: Update License Validator now available

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: "cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Update License Validator now available
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:16:26 -0700

Mark Gardner wrote:
I tried running the validator against our license RDF file (at http://www.phoenixtrap.com/license.xml) for our music. It seems to get confused on the contributor section, listing all of our URLs but only linking the first one, including a comma at the end.

Looks like Nathan fixed that.

As an aside, can anyone help me with embedding the license information in our MP3's? I've tried to set up the cctag tool, but building the various dependencies on Mac OS X 10.2 is proving to be non-trivial. Any way to make this easier?

You might try Aaron Swartz's Python port of the cctag tool, currently only available via CVS <http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/cctools/cctag-python/>. It has far fewer dependencies than does the Perl version.

If that doesn't work for you let me know; we'll work something out.

FWIW development will only continue on the Python version, largely because Python tools for creating "native" installers and GUIs are pretty good.

My #1 priority going forward is for it to be trivially installable on Windows and OS X. Presumably this means bundling everything with one of the tools mentioned at <http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install1.html>.

The next priority is to create a GUI, starting very simple. The main initial requirement would be that it could be distributed/installed in the manner above. Preferably as easily as the bittorrent client for Windows, which AFAIK uses py2exe and wxPython.

Mike