cc-metadata - Re: Update License Validator now available

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Update License Validator now available
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:59:29 -0700

Aaron Swartz wrote:
BTW, the magnet links are very nifty. Clicked on the link, and my local P2P application popped up and tried to download the song. The best example of P2P/CC integration I've ever seen. It'd be great if someone with a fast upstream (Stanford? iBiblio?) could run a Gnutella client that made sure our favorite CC-licensed songs were available.

We'll probably do something like this with the Internet Archive, but I think it's more important to have many nodes sharing than to have a single node with a fast upstream due to limited horizons/fragmentation of some P2P networks.

Magnet links may include an "xs" (exact substitute) parameter. If the value is a URL I think it is typically interpreted as a fallback from which the content may be downloaded if not found via a P2P search. That URL could be pulled from dc:identifier, like

magnet:?xt=urn:sha1:3LX4N6D4LOEIDYEXSXH7V2Y22NWFMMUM&dn=Bm_RELOCATION_PROGRAM_-_Superego_Exchange.mp3&xs=http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/copyremix/Bm_RELOCATION_PROGRAM_-_Superego_Exchange.mp3

(ibiblio hosts mirrors.creativecommons.org along with this mailing list -- thanks ibiblio.)