cc-metadata - CC-aware filesharing (was Re: License Validation Web Application)

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: CC-aware filesharing (was Re: License Validation Web Application)
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:16:13 -0700

dcrkid AT optonline.net wrote:
Filesharing programs that are (CC)-Aware are essential,
because with the latest RIAA lawsuits it'll be a relief to
be able to search for mp3s marked OK for filesharing.

Yes, that will be good.

It'll be nice for me, i'm an avid filesharer (until the RIAA
mass-threat of lawsuits. now i hide out on IRC sharing
only cartoons.) and the first program which comes out
with such a feature will probably get a usership boost.

You can still (and I encourage you to) share CC-licensed and public domain content on P2P networks without fear. You can find plenty at repositories linked to at <http://creativecommons.org/getcontent/>.

Now if only KaZaA and ShareAza could start work
in that area...

Generally the rest will in short order imitate a feature once one of the popular clients has an implementation. I predict that will happen with CC licenses. :-)