cc-metadata - Re: License Validation Web Application

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: dcrkid AT optonline.net
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: License Validation Web Application
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:45:36 -0400

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:06:06 -0500
> From: Chris Karr <br284 AT aetherial.net>
> Subject: Re: License Validation Web Application
> To: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT yergler.net>
> Cc: metadata AT creativecommons.org, cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
>
> Also, if anyone's interested, I have Java code that can be used either
> in server or client applications that can verify CC licenses. It makes
> the assumption that the license lives in its own document and is not
> embedded in HTML or the like, but it's a start. If anyone's interested
> in a copy of this, let me know. It's what I use in Oyez and Verify.
>
> -Chris

I heard LimeWire is working on a (CC) verifier for their
filesharing program.

Filesharing programs that are (CC)-Aware are essential,
because with the latest RIAA lawsuits it'll be a relief to
be able to search for mp3s marked OK for filesharing.

It'll be nice for me, i'm an avid filesharer (until the RIAA
mass-threat of lawsuits. now i hide out on IRC sharing
only cartoons.) and the first program which comes out
with such a feature will probably get a usership boost.

Now if only KaZaA and ShareAza could start work
in that area...