cc-metadata - Re: License Validation Web Application

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: License Validation Web Application
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:04:09 -0700

Chris Karr wrote:
Also, if anyone's interested, I have Java code that can be used either in server or client applications that can verify CC licenses. It makes the assumption that the license lives in its own document and is not embedded in HTML or the like, but it's a start. If anyone's interested in a copy of this, let me know. It's what I use in Oyez and Verify.

Just so nobody's confused:

Chris Karr's Verify <http://aetherial.net/Verify/> looks at a license claim embedded in an audio file and "VERIFIES" that claim against RDF published at a URL per <http://creativecommons.org/technology/embedding>. This would apply to any implementation in a P2P client as mentioned by "dcrkid" in <https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-metadata/2003-October/000178.html>.

The service/code mentioned in the subject line "VALIDATES" CC license RDF published on the web in the sense that the RDF/XML is valid, and displays some relevant work and license info extracted from the RDF in a form easier to read and application specific relative to the raw triples presented by <http://w3.org/RDF/Validator>.

"Validation"/metadata extraction will be a component of any embedded license claim "verification" code.