cc-metadata - Re: facilitating license terms

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: John Kwasnik <jkwasnik AT accessbee.com>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: facilitating license terms
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:10:42 -0700

Mike & all --

If I understand your questions below, they would not apply to you unless your web space includes content that you've licensed from others under a CC license.

Actually, I will be providing my MIDI arrangements under a CC attribution license. The question is how people are facilitating the use of their work ... do you assume that every potential user can deal with the minimal requirements of maintaining the link to the CC license, or are people doing "howto" pages?

I'm thinking of past practice, going back 10 years, where folks freely "borrowed" MIDI files as low-bandwidth background music for their personal web pages. (Strictly speaking, this use OUGHT to be considered "private", or otherwise exempt from copyright restrictions as fair use, but we now live on this particular version of planet Earth.) Many of these potential users might have trouble figuring out how to comply.

So I just thought that others have been here already, and could provide links to their sites, to show how they deal with it.

John