cc-metadata - Re: facilitating license terms

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: facilitating license terms
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:18:21 -0400

John Kwasnik wrote:
I am in the middle of converting my web space, so that the content is governed by Creative Commons attribution licenses. I wonder how folks who have done this already are handling the following:

If I understand your questions below, they would not apply to you unless your web space includes content that you've licensed from others under a CC license.

You may do what you will with your own content, though of course we recommend that you link to your license's URL using the "some rights reserved" or "no rights reserved" icons as appropriate and text which as clearly as possible denotes the content being licensed as well as including RDF describing the work and license.

My understanding is that all licenses require the licensee to include a copy of the license, or the URL for it, along with any public use of the licensed work.

Does this mean they must also include the RDF fragment?

IANAL, but AFAICT including license RDF is neither necessary nor sufficient to satisfy license terms -- a licensee must include a copy of the license or the URL for it.

You should include the RDF anyway. :)

And how are people facilitating this requirement? Do you provide a page on how potential users might do this? Do you include the HTML and RDF fragments in a ZIP (or whatever) archive? Do you ask potential users to contact you for help? Or just assume that they can deal with it?

We don't AFAIK have specific examples for licensees, though that's a great idea. Instructions for licensees would be very similar to instructions for licensors at <http://creativecommons.org/learn/technology/usingmarkup>.

Kick me if I didn't get the gist of your questions...