cc-metadata - Re: metadata questions

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Jeff Kramer <jeff AT polycot.com>
  • To: Aaron Swartz <me AT aaronsw.com>
  • Cc: metadata AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: Re: metadata questions
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 15:11:19 -0600

On Sunday, March 23, 2003, at 11:19 AM, Aaron Swartz wrote:

Is the metadata model meant to be applied to a single file, instead of a work as a whole?

Yes, you should describe each file individually. That way people building systems that, say, distribute CC-licensed files know exactly which files they can work with.

is is perfectly valid to point to a directory that includes links to the files

No, since the directory isn't what's licensed, it's the files that are. You could probably reference it in some other way, though.

Ok, so say, if I've got a directory of files (say a gallery of pictures, or an album of music I've got as mp3's), and the user doesn't want to describe each one individually, then they should use the collection type and point to the directory?

Jeff Kramer
Network Administrator
Polycot Consulting L.L.C.