cc-metadata - Re: metadata questions

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Aaron Swartz <me AT aaronsw.com>
  • To: Jeff Kramer <jeff AT polycot.com>
  • Cc: metadata AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: Re: metadata questions
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 11:19:23 -0600

Is the metadata model meant to be applied to a single file, instead of a work as a whole?

Yes, you should describe each file individually. That way people building systems that, say, distribute CC-licensed files know exactly which files they can work with.

is is perfectly valid to point to a directory that includes links to the files

No, since the directory isn't what's licensed, it's the files that are. You could probably reference it in some other way, though.

Sorry to pester, I just want to make sure we're creating the metadata right. Thanks!

No, that's much appreciated. Don't hesitate to ask further questions.
--
Aaron Swartz: http://www.aaronsw.com/