cc-metadata - metadata questions

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Jeff Kramer <jeff AT polycot.com>
  • To: metadata AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: metadata questions
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 03:54:36 -0600

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out the best approach to take in regards to automatically generating metadata for the commoncontent.org site. I created the content registration process to get all the information needed for the metadata model, but I'm running into a few problems.

Is the metadata model meant to be applied to a single file, instead of a work as a whole? For instance, I've got 3 different versions of one of my video files. Currently they're all quicktimes, but they could just as well be quicktimes, avi's, and mpegs. That's three different mime types for one resource, but the metadata spec only seems to want one mime type. Also, the URI for the resource seems to want to point to it, but in the case of multiple files, or files that may change names, is is perfectly valid to point to a directory that includes links to the files, or should I include that as 'something else'?

Sorry to pester, I just want to make sure we're creating the metadata right. Thanks!

Jeff Kramer
Network Administrator
Polycot Consulting L.L.C.