cc-metadata - Re: metadata questions

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Chris Snyder <chris AT psydeshow.org>
  • To: metadata AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: Re: metadata questions
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 12:41:49 -0500

Aaron Swartz wrote:

is is perfectly valid to point to a directory that includes links to the files

No, since the directory isn't what's licensed, it's the files that are. You could probably reference it in some other way, though.

I think this needs to be discussed in greater detail. You can license an entire website, so why not part of a website, ie a directory on your webserver?

There's no doubt that providing metadata for each object is the best way to go, but is there no mechanism by which we can indicate that all the objects prefaced with such-and-such a URI are covered under a particular license? This might ease the burden for a lot of content producers: place metadata on the directory index and go.

chris.

--
do you have a photoblog yet?
http://fotola.com (help beta-test!)