cc-metadata - more informative license iconography

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Carl Lumma <carl AT lumma.org>
  • To: info AT creativecommons.org
  • Cc: metadata AT creativecommons.org
  • Cc: press AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: more informative license iconography
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:20:13 -0800

Yo,

The iconography for the licences could be improved. The
rule is that users should be able to see all the possible
licenses from any instance of a licence. Like with CDs,
you knew there were recording, mastering and playback
columns; the first two could be A or D, and the third was
always D. The D-columns didn't disappear!

So I suggest you simply represent your "Choose a Licence"
form in pictures...

-> $ !
Dist. Sell Modify
Y Y Y
N N =

...for example, the "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike"
license becomes...

.------------.
| -> | $ | ! |
| Y | N | = |
'------------'

...and licensors should be able to download that for their
site, so that licensees don't have to follow a bloody link
to see what's going on, and then even after they follow the
link, they can't figure out how the pictures shown add up
to their right set. I found your site today from Tim Bray's
blog, and had to actually go through the "Choose a Licence"
process to figure out my rights with Tim's material.

Otherwise, you guys are awesome!!

-Carl

  • more informative license iconography, Carl Lumma, 03/18/2003