cc-metadata - Is there a "license-type" HTTP header standard?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Chris Snyder <csnyder AT chxo.com>
  • To: metadata AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: Is there a "license-type" HTTP header standard?
  • Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 21:13:24 -0500

Hello Creative Commons folks,

Is there a standard HTTP-header that is used for communicating license metadata with an HTTP server response?

Like a mime-type header, only it's a license-type header?

I think this would be an imporant way to supplement the RDF metadata that appears next to, eg, an image reference in HTML, but is not included in the HTTP response for the image itself.

Is anyone working on a standard like this, and if not, may I propose one? I can think of a number of tasty uses for it, such as a browser option not to display "overly-restricted" content, or checks on what images can be used in comments on a website.

Also, is there developer mailing-list that I can join?

Thank-you,

Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com