cc-metadata - Re: Is there a "license-type" HTTP header standard?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Chris Snyder <chris AT psydeshow.org>
  • To: metadata AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: Re: Is there a "license-type" HTTP header standard?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:39:23 -0500

Aaron Swartz wrote:

BitTorrent has no provision for license data. (Unless you're talking about something else.

Sorry, my mistake-- I had it confused momentarily with the Tornado plugin for the Open Content Network, which has an open-license requirement. I'd be interested in knowing how they "enforce" that on their network or if it's trust-based... I'll ask them directly.

The problem is few people want to license their whole domain. Maybe per-directory would work...

That's what I mean by suggesting a spec similar to P3P-- just as you can use policy reference files (http://www.w3.org/TR/P3P/#Referencing ) to apply a particular set of privacy metadata to various directories within your domain, you should also be able to cover the content of a directory with a particular license.
I think it would useful to have a Platform for Licensing Preferences (or something like that!) or extend the existing P3P to cover content licensing. I'm not a copyright lawyer, but it seems that in the DMCA era, this data is just as important to users and organizations as privacy info is. What is the best way to get something like this off the ground?

chris.