cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 4.0 translation worksheet discrepancies

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Tarmo Toikkanen <tarmo.toikkanen AT aalto.fi>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 4.0 translation worksheet discrepancies
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 00:10:06 +0300

Thanks for the clarifications, Kat!

While you're fixing the worksheet, and adding sentences that are not strictly license text, might I suggest you also add the strings that need to be inserted to the license texts when making the 6 variants? Now that they are not in the worksheet, we had to separately ask the translators to do those. It would be simpler to have everything in the worksheet.

Specifically, these are the missing strings:

BY and BY-NC:
- Insert 3(a)(4): “If You Share Adapted Material You produce, the Adapter's License
You apply must not prevent recipients of the Adapted Material from complying
with this Public License.”

BY-ND and BY-NC-ND:
- Insert “For the avoidance of doubt, You do not have permission under this Public
License to Share Adapted Material.” at the end of Section 3(a)(1)

BY-ND:
- Change Section 2(a)(1)(B) to “produce and reproduce, but not Share, Adapted
Material”
- Insert “, provided You do not Share Adapted Material” to Section 4(a)

BY-NC-ND:
- Change Section 2(a)(1)(B) to “produce and reproduce, but not Share, Adapted
Material for NonCommercial purposes only”
- Insert “and provided You do not Share Adapted Material” to Section 4(a)

Actually, to be on the safe side, it might be best to furnish the worksheet with full sentences of all alternatives. Meaning: Whenever a license variant calls for an "insert" or "change" or "remove", having all those different versions in the worksheet would make sure that the meanings are accurately translated. I can imagine that in quite a few languages, adding or removing a phrase might not be trivial, but require changes in the rest of the sentence.