cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Draft 4 discussion period: license drafts and open issues

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Kat Walsh <kat AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Draft 4 discussion period: license drafts and open issues
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 16:34:58 -0700

I hope that everyone has gotten a chance to read through draft 4 of 4.0 BY-NC-SA, distributed a few days ago. The other 5 licenses are now posted along with it:

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Drafts#4.0d4_Licenses

This is the final comment period, which we expect to use for making a few final adjustments, rather than reopening previously-settled issues or opening new issues beyond those where we're specifically seeking feedback. There are two issues in this draft which have changed and on which we are still seeking comment, which we are calling particular attention to so everyone is aware of them before the license is published. These are also already mentioned on the wiki.

Attribution:

In the Attribution section, the URI requirement now more closely resembles 3.0, in that URIs must be retained if supplied with the licensed material. The requirement to indicate modifications is now independent of the URI requirement, and indications of prior modifications to a licensed work must also be retained.

More details on the Attribution page: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Attribution_and_marking
Attribution comparison chart (.pdf): http://wiki.creativecommons.org/images/3/32/Attribution_chart_%28v3_v_d4%29_.pdf

ShareAlike:

In the ShareAlike licenses, there is now an express permission for downstream users to comply with all obligations to all upstream licensors with reference to the terms and conditions of the Adapter's License. (This is for ShareAlike only; the BY and BY-NC licenses do not include this section.)

More details on the ShareAlike page: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/ShareAlike

Thanks for your attention, and for all of your thoughtful feedback thus far.

-Kat

--
Kat Walsh, Counsel, Creative Commons
IM/IRC/@/etc: mindspillage * phone: please email first