cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Draft 4 discussion period: license drafts and open issues

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Cc <cc AT phizz.demon.co.uk>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Draft 4 discussion period: license drafts and open issues
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 00:56:02 +0100

On 17/09/2013 23:50, drew Roberts wrote:
On Tuesday 17 September 2013 17:57:32 Sarah Pearson wrote:
Is there a reason you think indicating a URI via terms of service is
particularly problematic? Why is it worse than indicating a URI in a
license notice, for example?
One a quick browse, I think his point is that a hosting provider could require
(via their terms of service) you to use a URI of their choosing on your work
rather than one of your choosing. I think it goes along with the point that
terms of service are generally take it or leave it deals and not the subject
of negotiations.

Surely it is up to the content creator whether she uses one particular web host or another? Additionally, there is nothing to prevent a creator placing the same content on multiple hosting sites. For example if I place content on flickr I don't think that Mr Maxwell can come along and ignore the URI requirement because he has a beef with Yahoo!, or indeed that I should be able to ignore the URI of content on Picassa becuase I have a problem with Google. If the URI is a problem we are both free to NOT use the relevant hosted content.