Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Compatibility: no external list, please, explicit conversion clauses instead!

cc-licenses AT

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

List archive

Chronological Thread  
  • From: Kat Walsh <kat AT>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Compatibility: no external list, please, explicit conversion clauses instead!
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 15:05:53 -0700

One short reply inline:

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Francesco Poli <invernomuto AT> wrote:

I understand that this clause is currently planned for
CC-by-nc-sa-v4.0 and CC-by-sa-v4.0 ...

As I have previously explained for draft3 [1], I think that this
mechanism based on an external list of Compatible Licenses should not
be implemented: the list can change in time, after a given work
has been licensed and released; this creates uncertainty for potential
licensors about *which* other licenses will be declared compatible
*after* they released their works.


I reiterate the recommendation to instead introduce an explicit
one-way conversion clause that allows redistribution of
CC-by-sa-v4.0-licensed works under the terms of the GNU GPL
version 2 or 3 (or, maybe, "version 2 or later" for simplicity's
sake) and redistribution of CC-by-v4.0-licensed works under the
terms of the zlib license [2].


I really hope this feature may be implemented, as I believe it is
of paramount importance!

As a small note on this, we are still planning to have a fuller discussion of compatibility after the publication of 4.0, including discussion of the criteria for naming a license as compatible with BY-SA. However, we have continued to be in contact with FSF about potential outward compatibility with the GPL. We hope to update with more specifics soon, but our current understanding is that the draft as it stands would not prevent this from being possible.


Kat Walsh, Counsel, Creative Commons
IM/IRC/@/etc: mindspillage * phone: please email first
Help us support the commons:
California Registered In-House Counsel #801759
CC does not and cannot give legal advice. If you need legal advice, please consult your attorney.

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.24.

Top of Page