cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Draft 4 discussion period: license drafts and open issues

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Cc <cc AT phizz.demon.co.uk>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Draft 4 discussion period: license drafts and open issues
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 22:39:28 +0100

On 18/09/2013 01:56, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
[Limiting this response message to the URI attribution requirement
subject, sorry— I should have split my original response]

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Cc <cc AT phizz.demon.co.uk> wrote:
On 17/09/2013 23:50, drew Roberts wrote:
On Tuesday 17 September 2013 17:57:32 Sarah Pearson wrote:
Is there a reason you think indicating a URI via terms of service is
particularly problematic? Why is it worse than indicating a URI in a
license notice, for example?
One a quick browse, I think his point is that a hosting provider could require
(via their terms of service) you to use a URI of their choosing on your work
rather than one of your choosing. I think it goes along with the point that
terms of service are generally take it or leave it deals and not the subject
of negotiations.

Surely it is up to the content creator whether she uses one particular
web host or another?
You appear to be assuming that there is a very simple relationship.

Author -> Webhost -> Consumer.

This is one model, but it is not the only one.

What happens when there are many authors and they post works on many
webhosts, and then additional authors, potentially including some but
not all or none of the original authors, make further adaptations
taking from these works and placing them on other hosts?

The freedom to move material from place to place is fundamental in
sharealike, and complex authorship flows involving multiple service
providers are a reality (and has resulted in litigation).

Life is messy. Dealing with multiple people is messy.

If I were to copy a bunch of wikipedia articles and simply list the authors: sparky-the-undertaker, elvis has left the building, etc, etc. With no mention that the original was once on wikipedia I'm certain that the wikipedia community will be a bitchin n moaning about that.

The issue with attribution is that "sparky-the-undertaker" is the WP author not some one that goes by the same name on some other site. Even worse if the material is copied from site WP to site B and there ever exists on site B some one called "sparky-the-undertaker" who is not the same as the site WP person then the authorship has effectively been re-assigned.

I think that if you can get all the contributors of a work to agree to a new URI then fine, if not then you are stuffed and rightly so.