cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Heather Morrison <hgmorris AT sfu.ca>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 09:56:30 -0800

Some thoughts:

An overall philosophical question which I think should be considered in CC
development is the impact of encouraging people to use these licenses on how
people think about the works that they create. CC is a powerful tool to
counter automatic copyright, but if every time someone creates something they
think in terms of rights then I think that this accidentally reinforces the
idea of "intellectual property". In terms of the current discussion, if every
time someone creates something they use a CC license and have to choose
whether commercial rights are granted or reserved, this entrenches the idea
that every creation comes with commercial rights.

Noncommercial is not optimal either. However, from a language perspective it
is better than "commercial rights reserved" because it gives the creator an
opportunity to say that "this is outside of the commercial realm". Things
that are outside of the commercial realm can be brought into it - however for
some of us, expanding the portion of the world that is outside of commerce is
a very important statement, and it's fine if it is vague.

I would also argue in favour of vagueness in some cases over clarity.
Creative Commons is about sharing. The concept of sharing is vague, and not
understood the same way by everyone. This is true of all abstract concepts,
like love, justice, and peace. Some of our best work happens in the realm of
the vague - this is the space for expanding our thinking about some very
important matters, such as sharing our work rather than locking it down.

Clarity may well be desired in some situations and/or for some organizations.
However, it is not clear that the same delineation of rights, or the same
definition of commercial, makes sense in all circumstances. Part of the
discussion around "noncommercial" has been lack of clarity about what
constitutes "commercial". "Commercial rights reserved" would not make the
definition of what constitutes "commercial" any clearer. Then too, the kinds
of rights that creators might wish to reserve may well vary - the kinds of
rights a book publisher considers reserved for commercial purposes may not be
the same kinds of rights that a software developer might expect to reserve.

It may be that what is needed is specific licenses modeled on Creative
Commons that are not part of the CC license suite. This will sometimes add
clarity - book publishers can say go ahead and do this, but not that - and at
other times leave things vague, which I argue also has its benefits.

Finally, rather than insisting that "noncommercial" be relablled "commercial
rights reserved", perhaps it would make more sense to add CCR as an
additional license element.

best,

Heather Morrison