cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Attribution: please allow anonymous or pseudonymous works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: sebastian nielsen <nielsen.sebastian AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Attribution: please allow anonymous or pseudonymous works
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 16:39:07 +0200

A problem with anonymous/psedonymous works is that the license grant
cannot be verified by a third party. In the case of where the
copyright owner is identified, a third party can contact the owner to
ask "did you really release your work under CC 3.0?" for example. A
site might want to do it to prevent a person from uploading a
commercial work and then claiming it was released under CC.
Another problem is that you can't attribute a anonymous work. How do
you attribute a anonymous work?
"[mp3 download link] A song released by Anonymous licensed under CC 3.0"
You could as well write:
"[mp3 download link] CC 3.0"

which means no attribution.

A solution I have, that solves both those problems, is a requirement
to register the work if you want to release it anonymously.
Registration is optional for non-anonymous works, but obligatory for
anonymous works.
The registration consist of "uploading" the work to
creativecommons.org, selecting license, and then writing in optional
details about the work. (for example author and such).
If he want to be anonymous, he omit these fields.

The work will then be md5 hashed and the hash is saved into
creativecommons.org server along with license details. The original
work is never kept because of size considerations.
Anyone can now verify the license by simply navigating to
creativecommons.org and then uploading the work in a "verify" form.
The verify form will md5 hash the content of the file and then check
against license database.

This will also solve the anonymous attribution problem, since then,
the verify page can be considered as "author" in case of a anonymous
work, eg if you distribute a anonymous work, you are required in
connection with the work attribute the verify result page URL.

The point of the optional registration, is that it prevents a person
from claiming anonymous rights in a work released non-anonymously, by
"protecting" it in the database.

Of course, the registration system needs to have safeguards in place
preventing people from registring non-CC works there, for example
bought commercial system. A legal safeguard can be that the
registration system says in the license agreement that only unreleased
works can be validly registred. A physical safeguard can be that it
checks against IFPI databases and such for a match.