cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 22:32:38 -0400

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org> wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 10:42 AM, David Chart wrote:
>> A blanket ban on using CC-BY-SA material on about half of the smart
>> phones in operation might also puzzle people. (Maybe more; there might
>> be some versions of Android with DRM as well.)
>
> Anyone who doesn't want to root their device can use a web-based reader.
> Or use the fact that they are not distributing the file to download it
> to their device with DRM added to their personal copy.

I have no idea what that means. I'm sure I could figure it out if I
had to, but it's something I'd rather not have to worry about.

I just want to attribute the authors and distribute derivatives under
the same license as the original. I don't want to worry about whether
or not I'm using a disapproved format. Yes, I think you should be
"allowed to distribute DRM-encumbered versions without a parallel
version". The only anti-DRM clause in CC-BY-SA that I fully support
is giving permission to circumvent.