cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Aggregation and Stronger SA

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: David Chart <bydosa AT davidchart.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Aggregation and Stronger SA
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 19:03:45 +0900

On 2012/04/16, at 23:09, drew Roberts wrote:

>> In any case, I suggest this as a way to make the 4.0 copyleft a bit
>> stronger.
>
> I say that is not enough stronger and we can make it stronger still without
> adverse effects for those wanting to operate in the Free World.

I know that my proposal doesn't meet your requirements, but then I disagree
with your requirements.

More objectively, your proposal would replace an implicit permission in
version 3 with an explicit prohibition in version 4. I really don't think
that's a good idea for something this broad. Apart from anything else, I,
personally, do want to allow aggregation with non-free works, but require
sharealike for actual adaptations.

I do have a question for clarification. I can see how the CD case restricts
your freedoms in the future. I don't see how the illustrated book goes beyond
that. If my proposal does what I intend, you can strip the text out of the
book and distribute your photographs in that layout. This would appear to
preserve your freedom to use your works, or anyone else's BY-SA works.

--
David Chart
http://www.davidchart.com/