cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Subject Matter: Semiconductor Masks and Design Rights

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Christopher Covington <cov AT vt.edu>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Subject Matter: Semiconductor Masks and Design Rights
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 19:24:00 -0400

For whatever it's worth, I think semiconductor mask rights are so
similar to copyright that they should be given the same
treatment--licensed rather than waived. Design patents should probably
be treated similarly to traditional patents. I for one am in favor of an
explicit patent grant. I don't have much more than a piecemeal
understanding of all the issues and a gut feeling to motivate these
positions, however.

Regards,
Christopher