cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Moral rights, Attribution & Choice of Law

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: pcreso AT pcreso.com
  • To: Andres Guadamuz <anduril13 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Moral rights, Attribution & Choice of Law
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 13:58:14 -0700 (PDT)

We'll have to agree to differ.

However, if CC desires their licences to be as applicable for data as they are for creative works, particularly for those responsible organisations around the world who currently feel the CC licences are inadequate for their data, (for moral rights issues & other reasons) then it is up to CC to provide a suitable licence. The organisation I work for has its own, as do many other agencies & in the UK example, the UK Govt itself. While these licences may be consistent with many of the principles enshrined in CC licences, they only exists because of perceived inadequacies in the CC licences.

I'd like to encourage CC to ensure their licences do meet our needs, so we are comfortable using them. By not recognising our concerns, and providing a licence we are comfortable using, we will continue to use alternative licences.

This is not a major issue for us, but more one for CC if they genuinely desire to make their licences more widely applicable, particularly in the Data Commons, as they claim to be doing.

Cheers,

   Brent