cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0 ?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0 ?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 13:14:16 -0500

On Friday 23 December 2011 13:29:39 Greg London wrote:
> An "early release" license makes sense for a work that starts out
> noncommercial and/or noderivative and after some number of years becomes
> CC-BY or public domain.
>
> There is no "commons" in NC or ND. so an early release license would not
> take anything away from any commons, but would allow creators to commit to
> some shorter time frame where it WILL enter the commons via CC-BY.
>
> Works that tend to have many many derivatives can keep all those
> derivatives in the commons with ShareAlike. But works that tend not to have
> lots of derivatives can see little functional difference between SA and
> something like CC-BY.
>
> CC-BY is still a *contribution* to the commons. It simply allows
> derivatives to ne taken out of the commons. But the original remains.
>
> Which is where something like an early release license would *contribute*
> to a commons by allowing creators to release the work to CC-BY after some
> number of years.

Why the assumption everywhere that someone wanting to put an NC option on
their work would would prefer to go to BY rather than BY-SA after X years? If
they are so interested in the commercial value of their work to put an NC on
it in the first place, would they not find it more attractive to retain the
chance of an income from that work after they finally put it in the commons.
An income from those who then want to take derivatives/adaptations (and
hopefully "inclusions" - I really need to settle on a term to use for my
proposed stronger/more general copyleft for the upcoming license) of it out
of the commons after the donation?