cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CCau v3.0 public launch

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Björn Terelius <bjorn.terelius AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CCau v3.0 public launch
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:09:21 +0200

Hi

I would prefer not allowing redistribution of the work under later versions of the license, as there is no *guatantee* that the later versions will preserve the original intention. For example, there are some people on this list who think that the NC and ND options should be dropped from future licenses. In principle, they could redefine CC BY-SA-NC-ND to mean CC BY-SA in future versions of the license. While I personally trust the CC community not to do this, I can easily imagine people being new to CC who are put off by the fact that the license terms could be changed without their consent.

Best wishes
Bjorn Terelius

Jessica Coates wrote:
Hi

<...>

Also - it's been pointed out that our proposed language for how you can
distribute the original work (ie under the same CC licence, a later version,
or the same licence from another jurisdiction) actually goes much further
than the Unported text, which just says:

"You may Distribute or Publicly Perform the Work only under the terms of this
License."

What do people think? Should we roll our language back in line with the
Unported, or is the forward and cross-jurisdiction compatibility implied/a
good thing?

Jessica Coates
Project Manager
Creative Commons Clinic