cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CCau v3.0 public launch

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Jessica Coates <j2.coates AT qut.edu.au>
  • To: "cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CCau v3.0 public launch
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:45:54 +1000

Hi

Our theory is that you don't have to use a CC licence, as long as your new
licence doesn't breach the CC terms (eg BY, NC, no DRMs etc).

That being said - I agree that it does probably create a strong incentive to
use a CC licence, because it's hard to ensure the terms are all compatible.

Any ideas how we could lessen the effect? Maybe by changing the text to refer
to rights and responsibilities under the licence?

Also - it's been pointed out that our proposed language for how you can
distribute the original work (ie under the same CC licence, a later version,
or the same licence from another jurisdiction) actually goes much further
than the Unported text, which just says:

"You may Distribute or Publicly Perform the Work only under the terms of this
License."

What do people think? Should we roll our language back in line with the
Unported, or is the forward and cross-jurisdiction compatibility implied/a
good thing?

Jessica Coates
Project Manager
Creative Commons Clinic