cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Distribution of picture on the internet in US-law?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Jordan S Hatcher <jordan AT opencontentlawyer.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Distribution of picture on the internet in US-law?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 12:12:38 +0100

On 5 Oct 2007, at 12:06, Karl Ebener wrote:

Hi Dana,

as far as I understand it after having read the wikipedia-article, the
answer to my question would be:
1. Commercial use of the picture would violate to right to publicity
which is part or parallel to the right to privacy.
2. Non-commercial use might violate the right to privacy, but the answer
is not definite.

Would this summary be right?

Thanks a lot!
Karl

State law in the US varies pretty widely on this issue, and of course the overlap with privacy rights vary from state-to-state as well. I'd be cautious as to trying to ascertain a general consensus of the law.

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

jordan at opencontentlawyer dot com
OC Blog: http://opencontentlawyer.com
IP/IT Blog: http://twitchgamer.net

Open Data Commons
http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/open-data/

Usage of Creative Commons by cultural heritage organisations
http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007