cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Distribution of picture on the internet in US-law?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Distribution of picture on the internet in US-law?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 08:39:14 -0400

On Thursday 04 October 2007 10:59 pm, paola.dimaio AT gmail.com wrote:
> > > The suit was dismissed last month by a New York State Supreme Court
> > > judge who said that the photographer's right to artistic expression
> > > trumped the subject's privacy rights. But to many artists, the fact
> > > that the case went so far is significant.
>
> I would say that it cannot be over yet - while it is acceptable to
> balance the right to artistic expression and privacy, it is not
> acceptable that one trumps the other
> Also, I would expect that economic compensation is due, if there has
> been financial gain

This is where I think it could be helpful for the law to take note of Free
Copyleft licenses.

For a possible example:

Take a picture of someone in public:

Use for endorsement - need permission. Negotiate compensation.

Use commercially, All rights reserved or any license other than a Free
copyleft license - need permission. Negotiate compensation.

Put it under a Free copyleft license - no permission needed.

Now. Do we need a distinction between a portrait type shot taken in a public
place and a crowd scene?

I am not totally sure that I fully buy my line above, but I certainly think a
person should get a Free Copyleft license to any images taken of them by any
photographer in any place not taken at their instigation should they wish to
use the image under such a license.