cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Distribution of picture on the internet in US-law?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Karl Ebener <myonlyb AT vollbio.de>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Distribution of picture on the internet in US-law?
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 13:06:06 +0200

Hi Dana,

as far as I understand it after having read the wikipedia-article, the answer to my question would be:
1. Commercial use of the picture would violate to right to publicity which is part or parallel to the right to privacy.
2. Non-commercial use might violate the right to privacy, but the answer is not definite.

Would this summary be right?

Thanks a lot!
Karl

Dana Powers schrieb:
In the U.S., this question is governed by state privacy law. The most
active cases deal with what is known as the "Right of Publicity,"
dealing with commercial exploitation of a person's likeness. The
Wikipedia article is pretty informative:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_publicity

State privacy law tends to be driven by case law, and I have not done
much research into the specifics. In "new" cases like these it may
indeed have to be resolved through litigation in the courts before we
have a definite answer.

All the best,

Dana Powers

-this is not http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_advice, yo