cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 08:50:48 -0400

On Friday 28 September 2007 11:35 pm, paola.dimaio AT gmail.com wrote:
> Jordan
>
> > I guess what I'm saying is that you _don't_ use a cc licence with the
> > expectation that you stop 'unethical' uses
>
> I gathered that - somehow I think that's a proble
>
> > So for example, if you don't want the military to use your work,
> > don't use a CC licence.
>
> Not just the military. Its the pornographers, the child traffickers,
> and simply anyone whose activities are detrimental to humanity at
> large. I am afraid, that makes up a large majority of businesses and
> enterpreises.
>
> > You *may, depending on the context and the law in the jurisdiction
> > where you are trying to enforce the licence, be able to rely on the
> > right to object to derogatory treatment.
>
> good idea, but its too wea
>
> > This is in the unported licence (which isn't tuned to ANY
> > jurisdiction) in 4c.
> >
> > "You must not distort, mutilate, modify or take other derogatory
> > action in relation to the Work which would be prejudicial to the
> > Original Author's honor or reputation." (
>
> I tried to defent my honor and reputation I did not
> go very far either - apparently I did not have a case :-)
>
> > Note however that this right is present in a wide variety of forms
> > (from virtually non-existent to strongly enforced) throughout the world.
>
> well - I think thats totally unacceptable to me, as an author, that
> people may use my work
> to perpetrate crime (think if someone uses my work on a phishing scam
> - Yet, I advocate my right to share my work under CC

If they commit a crime, get them on the crime. If the state will not do
that...

> I think CC should find a way to protect authors against abuse

I do recognize the motivation though. Sometimes I think about a ratings based
license clause. Only for G works, only for PG or lesser works, etc. But...
How in the world can such a thing be worded? That one will be tougher than
the good source code cause I so want for BY-SA.