cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: paola.dimaio AT gmail.com
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:35:54 +0700

Jordan

> I guess what I'm saying is that you _don't_ use a cc licence with the
> expectation that you stop 'unethical' uses

I gathered that - somehow I think that's a proble

> So for example, if you don't want the military to use your work,
> don't use a CC licence.

Not just the military. Its the pornographers, the child traffickers,
and simply anyone whose activities are detrimental to humanity at
large. I am afraid, that makes up a large majority of businesses and
enterpreises.

> You *may, depending on the context and the law in the jurisdiction
> where you are trying to enforce the licence, be able to rely on the
> right to object to derogatory treatment.

good idea, but its too wea
> This is in the unported licence (which isn't tuned to ANY
> jurisdiction) in 4c.
>
> "You must not distort, mutilate, modify or take other derogatory
> action in relation to the Work which would be prejudicial to the
> Original Author's honor or reputation." (

I tried to defent my honor and reputation I did not
go very far either - apparently I did not have a case :-)

> Note however that this right is present in a wide variety of forms
> (from virtually non-existent to strongly enforced) throughout the world.

well - I think thats totally unacceptable to me, as an author, that
people may use my work
to perpetrate crime (think if someone uses my work on a phishing scam
- Yet, I advocate my right to share my work under CC

I think CC should find a way to protect authors against abuse

Help me God!

Paola Di Maio