cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Charles Iliya Krempeaux" <supercanadian AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:22:57 -0700

Hello Jordan,

On 9/28/07, paola.dimaio AT gmail.com <paola.dimaio AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Jordan
>
> how do you recommedn that can I use a cc license, and prevent usage of
> my work in an unethical context? (whatever defintion of unethical a
> licensor may have)

Can you give a complete definition with what "ethical" means?

Unless you are using the word "ethical" is way that I'm unfamiliar
with... "ethics" are rules that a person voluntarily chooses to
follow. And which rules do and don't make up their "ethical code" is
up to them.

(In other words... for each person... what is and isn't ethical is different.)

Now... the problem with putting an "ethical" clause into a license is
that if you do NOT completely define and explicitly list what the
rules that make up your "ethical code", then things are completely
ambiguous. And a person won't know what they can and can't do.

Which to me seems to be counter to the goal of the CC. (Of not having
to ask the creator for permission or anything else.)

--
Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc. <http://ChangeLog.ca/>

Vlog Razor... Vlogging News
http://vlograzor.com/