cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: paola.dimaio AT gmail.com
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:47:38 +0700

Charles

> Can you give a complete definition with what "ethical" means?

Well, we are still discussing what 'commercial' means, right?
Even commercial is not that straightforward

We have non commercial use, not better specified
Then we can also have 'ethical' use, and work it out later

It's not so difficult. It's a simple condition that allows to use CC
licensed work only
if it is not used for (see annex). In the annex you can put what you want

The work covered under this licenses, and any parts thereof, cannot be
used in conjunction with any of the following usages

- illegal activities (any country)
- activities against human rights charter
- activities that exploit and abuse people especially children
- to sell unhealthy product and products that harm the environment

etcetera

Any usage that is not in the black list, would not require permission
Any usage that is in the black list, is prohibited

simple as that

> Unless you are using the word "ethical" is way that I'm unfamiliar
> with... "ethics" are rules that a person voluntarily chooses to
> follow. And which rules do and don't make up their "ethical code" is
> up to them.

I chose not to drink coke, and to to eat McDonalds hamburgers, and not
to promote
pornography and belligerant and slanderous websites, and not to do
phisihing scams nor hack other people property and generally be
respectful and kind

and I am also responsible for the work that I produce not be used
against my principles

> (In other words... for each person... what is and isn't ethical is
> different.)

sure - but we all agree in principle on certain points, right?

> Now... the problem with putting an "ethical" clause into a license is
> that if you do NOT completely define and explicitly list what the
> rules that make up your "ethical code", then things are completely
> ambiguous. And a person won't know what they can and can't do.

agreed. Let me start working on a an ANNEX

Cheers

Paola