cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] License Jurisdiction Questions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Kevin Phillips (home)" <tacet AT qmpublishing.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] License Jurisdiction Questions
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 17:46:14 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Grimmelmann" <james AT grimmelmann.net>
To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts"
<cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2007 3:51 PM

> Kevin Phillips (home) wrote:
> > A quick series of questions about license impact in different
jurisdictions
> > :
> >
> > I noticed recently the official licenses for us folks in the UK aren't
the
> > same wording as those in the US. There's an effective "translation"
> > obviously because of differences in language. Interestingly I know of
no cc
> > project for music which offers licenses from different jurisdictions
> > directly.
>
> It's not just differences in language; it's difference in law. The
> licenses are customized to express the same ultimate meaning in
> different places' legal systems.

Thanks James for the response. Of course, I understand this goes beyond
language structure and spelling differences, so ok "language of law", more
specifically.

> The "translations" are carried out by
> the various international iCommons groups; whenever CC updates the
> licenses, there will be a lag while the license changes are ported into
> each country where CC licenses are available.

ok so that makes sense, though where a legal document is concerned would it
not be more prudent to have a release in sync? That was really the point I
was trying to make, could there not be an issue or disparity due to a chorus
of voices singing from slightly different song books?

3.0 licenses have been around for some time now haven't they?

Kev