cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] License Jurisdiction Questions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Kevin Phillips (home)" <tacet AT qmpublishing.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] License Jurisdiction Questions
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 12:05:46 +0100

A quick series of questions about license impact in different jurisdictions
:

I noticed recently the official licenses for us folks in the UK aren't the
same wording as those in the US. There's an effective "translation"
obviously because of differences in language. Interestingly I know of no cc
project for music which offers licenses from different jurisdictions
directly.

For instance, I create a song and post it to ccMixter for remix, I also post
it's component parts to Kompoz.com for others to contribute. ccMixter
doesn't support SA licenses, so I select the defacto NC license, Kompoz
allows BY-SA so I submit the component parts there for others to work on
(ie. bass, piano, vocal, drums). Presumably I'm ok to do this as far as the
licenses go, so far ok? Well, my submissions to Mixter/Kompoz I've done
with the license options provided which I'm assuming are available in my
jurisdiction, yes?

I'm not aware of either ccMixter or Kompoz for instance providing me with
jurisdiction specific options, like those provided by the license helper on
the official creative commons site.

Should people be aware of the differences in license language? For
instance, I recently drove myself crazy because I was convinced
"attribution" was clearly defined in the license under the appropriate
section. On the US license it isn't, but if you check the UK license it's
clear as a bell right at the top.

I've also noticed that from the Creative Commons website license helper, if
I choose a BY-SA license I'm given an older version in the UK than if I
choose a US license. Could this also cause issue? Shouldn't all the
licenses by in sync? Are there any instances of licenses in other
jurisdictions which are simply not available because of the laws of the
land? If so, then shouldn't websites like ccMixter and Kompoz need to offer
jurisdiction based license selection?

Maybe I've grasped the wrong end of the stick (not like me at all...lol), so
I thought I'd ask you guys. :)

Kev