cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] License Jurisdiction Questions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] License Jurisdiction Questions
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 10:51:09 -0400

Kevin Phillips (home) wrote:
> A quick series of questions about license impact in different jurisdictions
> :
>
> I noticed recently the official licenses for us folks in the UK aren't the
> same wording as those in the US. There's an effective "translation"
> obviously because of differences in language. Interestingly I know of no cc
> project for music which offers licenses from different jurisdictions
> directly.

It's not just differences in language; it's difference in law. The
licenses are customized to express the same ultimate meaning in
different places' legal systems. The "translations" are carried out by
the various international iCommons groups; whenever CC updates the
licenses, there will be a lag while the license changes are ported into
each country where CC licenses are available.

James