cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC homepage

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <greglondon.1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC homepage
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:52:12 -0400

On 4/26/07, Joachim Durchholz <jo AT durchholz.org> wrote:
Greg London schrieb:
Let me look how they phrased it - did they mean "Freedom" or "freedoms"
(aka "rights")?
I never really bought the idea that having the right to use the creative
works of others is related to Freedom (with a capital F) in any way, so
I have to admit I didn't read that section very carefully.
Checking...
It clearly says "freedoms". I.e. rights. No misrepresentation here.

You do realize that there needs be a distinction between
Free as in speech, versus,  free as in beer.
Right?

Because "F"ree is talking about community versus proprietary,
while "f"ree is talking about zero price.

However, and this reflects a confusion of vocabulary,
there is no distinction between "F"reedom versus "f"reedom.

They both are talking about Freedom, neither one is talking
about price. Upper and lower case is irrelevant when discussing
the word "freedom".

That folks have made a distinction where none exists indicates
that they don't understand the vocabulary they've hijacked.

AND, more importantly, no one can reasonably expect that some
newbie to the arena of CC and copyright and licensing is going
to read the first line at the top of the front page of the website
and know that upper or lowercase on the word freedom SHOULD
mean anything different.

Greg