cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC homepage

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC homepage
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:12:40 -0400

Terry Hancock wrote:
> However, there is absolutely no question that the usage on the CC page
> definitely is worded oppositely from the way the actual license
> selection process is designed, and that is at least confusing.

I like your thought experiment of rephrasing all the licenses in terms
of affirmative freedoms rather than as conditions. CC has been taking
steps in this direction -- e.g. the use of the freedom-to-share and
freedom-to-remix logos on the commons deed pages and in the puzzle-piece
license picker. I think your example shows that some conditions still
sound better as "restrictions," but it's nice to move the discourse in
the direction of affirmatively specifying freedoms.

James