cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Plagiarism

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Plagiarism
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:47:39 -0500

drew Roberts wrote:
> Is the lack of named attribution plagiarism, or is claiming the work as
> your
> own plagiarism?

The latter, unless a presumption exists from the context that you are
passing the work off as your own, IMHO. OTOH, "plagiarism" has no legal
definition, it's primarily an academic term, akin to "cheating".

The attribution requirement prevents plagiarism, however it is more than
the absolute minimum required to prevent it.

> I gave the example of telling jokes which I may not even know who to
> attribute
> to.

The burden of research is the main objection to By-type licensing, IMHO,
along with the burden of advertising terms (like the old BSD).

Cheers,
Terry

IANAL, etc.... (I should make this my signature! :-D )